Understanding Flutes in High Speed Machining
We receive a lot of questions when it comes to high speed machining, but one of the most common questions we receive is “how many flutes do I need on my end mill?”. Of course, the number of flutes on your end mill is dependent on your machining needs, but we have put together a quick list to help guide you in the right direction for your high speed machining needs.
When to Use 4 Flutes
- You are operating on an older machine without look ahead capability.
- When the machined area is smaller than 10 inches of surface area.
- Preferred higher radial depth of cut.
When to Use 7 Flutes
- You are operating a machine with look ahead capability.
- When the machined area is larger than 10 inches of surface area.
- Preferred lower radial depth of cut.
I hope this quick list has helped you understand the number of flutes needed for your end mill’s high speed machining needs. Need help finding the correct end mill? Click here to access our end mill material guide and it will help recommend end mills based on your selections.
If you still have questions or need additional resources please contact our Customer Service team at 800.248.8315 or firstname.lastname@example.org.